The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Monday, January 01, 2007

Resolutions


Getting ready for the Resolution Run of 2007 at the William Lutsky YMCA in Edmonton

My pre-New Year's Resolution was to join a running clinic at the Running Room and run in a 5km fun run on New Year's Day. So I've already acheived my first resolution of the year. Overachieved actually. I was shooting for a 35min finish (average 7min/km) and my happy-outcome goal was 30min for the 5km. This is all based on the average training speeds of between 6 and 7 min/km that we've been doing for the last 10 weeks in the clinic. During the clinic running a 6min/km felt really fast and I had to drop back to 6:30 or 7min to be able to stay within the comfort zone (ie. not gasping/wheezing and being able to chat a bit).


Crossing the line with a smile on my face!
I ended up finishing the 2007 Resolution Run in 28min 20sec so am ecstatic about the whole thing. I'm feeling a lot fitter than I have for a while (which helped a lot in the Bald Hills trip a few weeks ago) and the medium term goal is to get ready for the Campbell Icefields trip in April. I've still got a ways to go and am starting a 10km clinic next week that should improve things even more. Col is joining a clinic as well next week so hopefully we'll be able to go for runs together and both be in tip top condition to take on the mountain in April. Long term it can only be a good thing to be getting out and about 2 or 3 times a week and I'm really looking forward to the spring and summer to see what it's like running without having to layer up in tights, thermals and gloves/tuque.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home