The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Summer in Alberta/B.C. = Lake trips

No summer is complete in the Hope family without plenty of trips to the cabin at Adams Lake. I'm sure I've put up photos before on my photo albums about how beautiful and peaceful it is out there, and that's a good thing because I completely forgot to take any photos while we were there except for these paltry few. The biffy that we were digging the hole for a month ago is almost done now with the little shed sitting perfectly over the hole facing up into the woods up the hill. All sorts of bush carpentry was undertaken on the weekend to get the seat built and to make it well within the specification limits of being comfy, the right height for the short and tall people and able to take whatever load is asked of it. So sadly no piccies of the masterpiece (although maybe we'll steal some from Bonnie and Ken when they get back) but here's the cute little hotel we stayed at in Valemont on the way down. The trip from Edmonton to Adams Lake takes around eight hours from door to door and so when you're leaving after work it's almost mandatory to stay overnight somewhere along the route from Valemont to Clearwater. We decided not to go too far that night and had booked a place in Valemont which is about 2 hours from Barriere. This place was pretty new and had cedar panelled walls which smelled just amazing. Like staying overnight in a sauna almost!


Glacier Mountain Inn...

There's all sorts of people on the highways, some of them ride very cool machines


Cool Harley parked underneath our room...

We stayed in Valemont and didn't have to get to the lake super early because we had booked a meeting with the local marriage commissioner for the next morning. She turned out to be a lovely lady, very accomodating and willing to make the ceremony what we wanted it to be and so we set a date for the big day which will be July 20 next year out at the lake. More details and info on that will be sorted out in the coming weeks and months.

And finally just as we were about to leave I remembered I had my camera with me and managed to take a shot of Jason and Lindsay who were out there with us for the weekend as well. We had a great time with them trying to learn how to wakeboard on the board that Jason brought out with him. For the record I'm terrible at it and did not manage to get myself up out of the water once. Col on the other hand is a natural and popped up first time and even was doing tricks like going with the board at 90 degrees to the boat although that may not have been intentional! I'm sure if I'd just been able to rise like a phoenix from the waters (I'm sorry, that similie really really doesn't work but it's all I got) that I would have been cruising around the wake like a true waterman, but it was not to be. Maybe next time around. Still we had one perfect day of completely calm water and that was pretty much the best waterskiing I've ever had in my life. And one day when I grow up and get to be as good as Ken and Col, I'll be able to carve rooster tails with rainbows in them like they both did. Did I mention that it's amazingly fun being out at the lake?


So photogenic it's ridiculous...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home