The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Monday, November 14, 2005

Sunshine ski trip

The first trip of the 2005/6 ski season is now under our belts and Sunshine actually lived up to its moniker this time with some quality weather to go with the very quality snow. I was on telemark skis again as I am determined to get good enough at tele-skiing so that trips into the backcountry powder don't fill me with trepidation. Backcountry skiing is so wonderful even when you're really bad at it as I was last year that I can only imagine what it will be like this year with a bit more time on skis and a smoother technique. Any technique at all would be an improvement frankly. So I'm sacrificing some snowboard carving for a payoff of first track powder days and I think it will be worth it in the long run.

This year it's mostly going to be Ken and I skiing due to uni demands on Col, which makes for a less than complete ski trip without her. Hopefully she'll be able to make it to one of the multi-day hut trips that are in the offing and we'll also be able to get some practice on the local slopes in the meantime.

There's a new photo set up on Flickr with the very few snaps that I did manage to take. There never seems to be a good time to stop on the slopes and pull your gloves off, fish the camera out, turn it on, frame the shot, fix up the contrast because of all the white reflections everywhere and actually take a shot when you could be working on your turns, bending your knees and trying to point your shoulders down the fall line properly. I'm hoping that I'll get better at taking the time for photos as I get better at negotiating my way down the hill.

Steve at Sunshine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home