The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Friday, February 03, 2006

Triple J Hottest 100

I just can't see why the whole world doesn't have Triple J. It's brilliant and I cannot get enough of it. Alternative independent music and interesting DJ personalities is a recipe for radio success that just doesn't seem to have translated out of Australia yet. Australia Day is always a big day for Triple J though with the Hottest 100 playing throughout the day and has become a touchstone for the holiday for a lot of people (including me). Awesomely this year they've posted recordings of the Australia Day countdown so I can listen to them and get my Australia fix to my heart's content!

Songs I've loved so far and am probably going to track down while the homesickness lasts so that I can spread the Triple J love in Edmonton.
  • 100 Party Started - The Cat Empire

  • 92 Messages - Xavier Rudd

  • 91 Heartstopper - Emiliana Torrini

  • 99 Like Eating Glass - Bloc Party

  • 87 We Can't Hear You - The Herd

  • 85 Tightrope Walker - Epicure

  • 74 The Sound of White - Missy Higgins

  • 73 Better Together - Jack Johnson

  • 65 Always Worth It - Sarah Blasko

  • 63 Divorcee at 23 - Clare Bowditch & The Feeding Set

  • 56 It's 5! - Architecture in Helsinki

  • 51 Be Yourself - Audioslave

  • 48 An Honest Mistake - The Bravery

  • 47 Stuff & Nonsense - Missy Higgins

  • 44 Sunny Road - Emiliana Torrini

  • 43 Autumn Flow - Lior

  • 38 Sly - The Cat Empire

  • 31 The Special Two - Missy Higgins

  • 19 Middle of The Hill - Josh Pyke

  • 18 I Was Only 19 - The Herd

  • 15 Flame Treees - Sarah Blasko

  • 14 Songbird - Bernard Fanning

  • 13 Gold Digger - Kanye West

  • 11 Fig Jam - Butterfingers

  • 2 Catch My Disease - Ben Lee

  • 1 Wish You Well - Bernard Fanning

So 26 standouts from 100 is pretty good for a first listen through. Interesting new artists that I hadn't heard of include Lior, Josh Pyke, Sarah Blasko and The Herd (of course Bernard Fanning is also new as a solo artist but I've always liked Powderfinger). Funnily enough, even though they got 6 songs into the top 100 I wasn't really into Wolfmother at all, I must need a bit more overexposure to the album or maybe it's just not my cup of tea, even though it seems to be for the majority of Triple J voters. To be fair there is a lot of acoustic stuff over-represented in the songs that I liked immediately and this is a list made from one listen through so take it with a grain of salt. So now all I have to do is scrape up $26.00, head off to the iTunes music store and see if I can patch together my own little Travelling Steve's Triple J Hottest 100 mix.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home