The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Depth of Field

I have to admit I thought I took reasonably good photos before going on this photography course. Good colour, capturing the moment sort of stuff and most of them reasonably straight to the horizon etc etc... Little did I know all the cool things that you could do to the picture just by tweaking a few settings and letting in a little more light more slowly or letting it all in very quickly. You can get downright artistic. The craziest stuff is the depth of field photos that you take where the subject is the only thing in focus and everything else is various degrees of blurred.


Boomerang.

This camera is so accurate when the aperture is wide open that I focused 1cm too far back and got his backpack in focus and nothing else. Now that's depth of field. It can really enhance a photo to draw the eye to what you want instead of having the whole picture in focus. Especially if there's a visually busy background.


Statue for police killed in the line of duty

I know this is all pretty obvious for people who have any modicum of experience with cameras, but since it's new to me and I find it interesting, well I get to write about it. The other cool thing that you get to do when trying to complete these photography assignments is think of new ways to take a similar picture. This one is a favourite, not only because the shisa has a personal resonance, but also because when you change your angle of attack, you can come up with something that is really quite striking.


Shisa from Okinawa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home