The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Book signing

I attended my first ever book signing on the weekend which surprised me for a number of reasons. Firstly I am a book fiend (ask anyone) and often get fixated on particular authors, desperately searching the bookstores trying to track down that hard to get out of print copy of one of their early novels. For this reason alone I should have been to at least one book signing by one of these people whose output I adore so much. Secondly I often see notices in bookstores (I spend a lot of time in bookstores OK!) for book signings by authors I know of, and never seem to manage to get to the event. Thirdly, I spend a lot of time in bookstores and surely would have stumbled across one even inadvertently at some stage, but apparently not. Fourthly this book signing was not only by someone I knew and am now related to but Ruth is also the only author I know personally who has published a book, in fact this is her second. I have to qualify this by saying that I only know one other author personally and he's still finishing his magnum opus.

It was a very informal gathering, Ruth signing books (A Cottage Clue) for people as they arrived and all of the proceeds were donated to the Alberta Council for the Aged which was a great idea as well. I got one for us and another for Mum and Dad to send home. I had the luck to get the chair across from her at the signing table to take some photos for posterity and am really happy with how they turned out.


Ruth Maclennan


A Cottage Clue

There's another photo that I just love that I haven't managed to upload yet but will do so later on tonight. I am also going to have to make it to some more book signings in the future, especially now that I am on the right continent to get a few more chances to see some of my favourite authors.

UPDATE:

Hands

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home