The Chronicles of Travelling Steve

Friday, March 03, 2006

Texture

I just recently bought my first ever photography book by a fairly well known Canadian photographer called Freeman Patterson. In it he talks about making photographs, not just taking them, by incorporating elements of visual design when framing the shot or adjusting the camera's settings. These elements are Light, Shape, Line, Texture and Perspective. I think this one is probably my first explicitly "made" photo in that I was thinking about texture when I took it and also afterwards when I cropped it to remove the ugly railings and dark background. Here's the original which had the intent of capturing the texture of the fresh snow against the afternoon sun.

Original shot for snow golf

I was pretty happy with that photo, but after reading parts from this new book, decided that there were too many distracting elements and that I could do better. iPhoto cropping to the rescue and what I've ended up with is a nice simple photo that really captured the way the snow looked and the sunlight hitting it the way I wanted in the first place.


Snow Golf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home